Monday, February 27, 2017

My Journey to Health

Earlier this year as I was trying to think of my 2017 resolutions/goals, a big one was my health. I wanted to focus on making my health a priority this year.

Here's the thing. I'm skinny. I have good genes. I can eat three brownies a day and stay the same weight. But that doesn't mean I'm healthy.

A few years ago my dad had a very unexpected heart attack. He and my mom were exercising often and it happened to him. All the sudden, I became 50% more likely to have one as well (family history and all that jazz). That hit me like a ton of bricks, and it opened my eyes to the fact that I don't take care of myself like I should.

So this year I've decided I'm going to be more intentional about my health. Because while I may be able to eat sugar all day long in my 20s, I won't be able to in my 30s. And what I do now for my health will lay the foundation for how I feel and live in my later years. 

Being a nurse, I see so many disease processes that could have easily been prevented through diet and exercise. I don't want to lay in a hospital bed one day wishing I had done a little more for myself.

So essentially that's where this decision to be healthier came from. A heart attack and a realization that if I don't do something I'll end up with diabetes. (True story.) 

Here are some of the things I'm doing for my health.

Drinking more water. Until about a week ago, I drank about one glass of water a day and a cup of coffee. That's it. Until the next morning when I did the same thing. You don't have to be a nurse to know WHY THIS IS TERRIBLE. I'm changing my ways, people. I've cut out all sugary drinks and only drink water (and coffee). Which takes us to point #2..

Drinking less coffee. I drink a lot of coffee. And a lot of creamer + sugar. Working on cutting this down.

Eating less junk food. This includes sweets. Processed foods. And my beloved homemade nachos that I love so much. Our body can't function correctly when we put junk into it all day long. And that's what I've been doing for months. This has to change. I'm working on it. I'm a firm believer that you can exercise all you want, but unless you change your diet, you're doing nothing.

Exercising. I grew up playing ball and that allowed me to love working out and being fit. Ever since then, working out has felt like a chore. So I'm trying my best to find some things to do that I love. I've found a couple online workouts that I like, and I'm also trying yoga and so far liking it! We also want to get Michael a bike and start going for family bike rides. I was really into riding at one point and want to start that again. 

(Us hiking last year. This is one of my favorite things to do as a family.)

Playing with Lincoln. I do this anyway, but one thing I try to do is to actually play when Lincoln plays. We wrestle fight, we play tag, we run around at the park. It's exercise AND it's something I enjoy.

Taking my Juice Plus. I love the products that they offer and knowing that Lincoln and I get all the fruits and vegetables we need makes me feel better about our health. Juice Plus+ is just that.. fruits and vegetables and whole food nutrition. It helps bridge the gap between what we're supposed to eat, and what we can actually eat in a day. I also love their shakes and want to come up with more ideas to make more.



AND this week we're having a lot of different informative Facebook events! I'd love to invite you to one and share with you how Juice Plus+ has helped our family and why we love the company and their products so much! There is one tonight at 7 pm. You don't have to be on Facebook at that time; you can always go back and read all the posts later! Comment or email me (mommafussell@gmail.com) for more info! 

So it's been about a month since I've been doing this "healthier" thing, and I can say.. I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I have more energy. I don't feel like I need a nap during the middle of the day. My headaches aren't coming as frequently. It's been so awesome to experience, and I can't wait to continue!

So those are some of my ideas for becoming healthier. Here's to feeling better in 2017. 

What are some of your favorite things to do for exercise + your favorite shake recipes?

1 comment:

  1. Ughh it's the eating healthy and the exercise that keeps me from being super healthy. Aka everything! haha. I'm trying to go for more long walks with Aiden now that it's (maybe?) going to start warming up!!

    ReplyDelete