Wednesday, January 14, 2015

You Are For Us


My sweet boy has been having some nightmares lately, and so he's been extra clingy lately. When we headed to church Sunday he told me he didn't want to go to his class, which is very unusual for him. He's never said that before.

He told me he'd rather stay with me so I took him into the service with me. We stayed in the back in case we needed to sneak out and as the music started, they sang one of our favorite songs - "You Make Me Brave" by Bethel Music. {If you haven't heard it, go listen now.}

I was holding Lincoln and dancing with him and I looked over and watched Lincoln sing these words..

"As Your love, in wave after wave
Crashes over me, crashes over me
For You are for us, You are not against us"

Wow.

Tears started streaming down my face as I watched my favorite little miracle from God sing "You are for us."

Y'all. Let me honest here. There have been times over the past four and a half years that I've felt like the world was against us. I can read statistics and the odds and just know, they're not in favor of teenage moms and their kids. 

The odds say we won't make it. They say I'll always live in poverty, I'll never finish school, and my son can't possible turn out okay. 

And some days it's not just statistics. Some days people aren't really for us either. I went through a pregnancy that many people didn't approve of. Some of the people I was closest to the day before I found out I was pregnant, walked out the day they found out. I've been told I glamorize teen pregnancy. And some days, despite how hard I try to parent, provide, and give Lincoln a normal life, there are just people who will never agree with it. But..

What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, howshall He not with Him also freely give us all things?
ROmans 8:31-32

As I look back through my pregnancy, Lincoln's birth, and his {almost} four years on earth, I see that my God has been for us. I see that God was for a pregnant teenager and her unborn son. I see that God is for a single mom and her three year old. 

It's a relief and a weight off my shoulders to know that The One who holds all things together {Colossians 1:17} is for me. 

I'm claiming that for Lincoln and I every day of our lives. I'm claiming that The One who loved me and my son enough to create us with His hands is for us today. 

The odds and statistics, and even the world, can be against us but that doesn't matter because God is the authority over all things, and that includes mine and Lincoln's life.

Friends, sometimes it seems like the deck is stacked against us. It seems like no matter what, we can't win. But The Lord is for you. 

Romans 8:37 says, "Yet in all these things we are more than conquerers through Him who loved us." 

You are more than a conquerer through Him. You are victorious in Jesus because He's already won. It's done. If you're a child of God, you have victory because of who your Father is. Because He is victorious, you are, too.

Jesus loves you. He adores you. He is for you.

11 comments:

  1. Girl you have me tearing up in my office!! I am so excited to know you. Me and the hubby do not have any children yet. But I am a former children's ministry director. I absolutely get goosebumps when I get to talk to little kids about Jesus. And to see and hear them sing his praises always makes me cry. Thank you for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to know YOU! I love their child-like faith. It's astounding. You will be such a great mom one day!

      Delete
  2. This gave me some tears! Such a beautiful post. We are all so much more than statistics no matter what they might be. Your story is filled with so much love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. You are so right, we all are. Our story is lavished in grace. I'm thankful.

      Delete
  3. This post brought tears to my eyes. It's clear that you're doing an excellent job raising that little boy--your love for him and for the Lord is tangible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I try so hard, and I'm thankful that God fills the gaps that I miss.

      Delete
  4. It is such a sweet thing to see a child singing about our Lord! And what a reminder for his mom too! I'm so happy you got encouragement when you needed it - and thanks for sharing it with us! with my health, my previously chosen career and kids are getting pushed back and it is hard sometimes to not whine to God about it. but even in this, He is for me and with me. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely needed the reminder. We're so good at whining {I'm speaking for myself here!}. He is definitely for you, friend!

      Delete
  5. This makes me tear up! You are one amazing lady and I love seeing your gratefulness and courage. I have been following your blog for a few months now and quite enjoyed the heart of love and praise for God you show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me tear up. It's all The Lord. Thank you so so much. You're an amazing encourager, friend.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete