Monday, December 15, 2014

He Thinks We're Just Walking


To my most precious Lincoln,

Last Monday we went for a walk. To you it was probably just any old walk but to me, it's one of my favorite memories I have with you. There are moments in life that I wish I could accurately write down so I could remember every feeling and every second. Today was one of those.

Because when I get you away from the toys, and the tv, and all other distractions, I get to hear your take on life. I get to see your eyes get wide as you talk about what you're passionate about. I get to hear that precious laugh ring in my ear. It's the sweetest sound.. your laughter and your voice. 


The weather was perfect. Chilly, but not too cold. As we walked I couldn't help but stare in awe at you, because you're so much more precious than I'll ever be able to adequately describe through words. 


You talked to me about the trinity, while you held up three fingers. I'm proud of your love for Christ. It puts so much hope in my heart. You told me how Holy Spirit lives inside of us, and He's nice. Yes, sweet boy, He sure is. I want to have child-like faith like you.

You told me how you want to be a fireman when you grow up, so you can put out fires. When you talk about that your eyes always get bigger. I dream a lot for you. I pray you enjoy what you do, and that you do it because God has led you there. I have no doubt in my mind that you can do anything that The Lord calls you to.

At one point you grabbed my hand and said, "I will hold your hand so you won't be afraid." Sweet boy, you have a heart of gold. I have watched you as you've turned into this little man who protects his mommy. You never want to hurt my feelings or see me upset. 


You started dragging your feet as you got tired so I suggested a piggyback ride. You perked up and hopped on, and I got to hear that laugh even closer. Then as you got tired later, you hopped on my shoulders all by yourself. Since when are you big enough to do that with no help?


Then we saw some dragons, lions, and tigers and we fought them. You told me you would get them for me. There goes that protective instinct again. Sometimes I wonder if God put that in you because of our situation.

I sure am proud of you, Linc man. 


Somedays I miss cuddling you as a baby, but this stage we're in right now is so much fun. Your language and reasoning and thinking is getting so great, and it's so much fun to have conversations with you. You cause me to really think, and you make me laugh more often than you know. You're turning into your own little person, and you keep me on my toes.

This time of year always causes me to think about what I'm thankful for, and as cliche as it sounds, I really am so thankful for you. As I waited for your arrival back in 2011, I dreamed of what you would be like. Linc Fuss, my wildest and best dreams didn't come anywhere close to you. You are so much greater than anything I could've ever hoped for. It is an absolute honor to be your mom. It is an honor to take you on nature walks where we fight dragons and dream about your future. It's an honor to read stories before bed and to teach you about Jesus. It's an honor to be your mom in the little moments and the big ones.

So maybe to you it was just a walk, but to me it was everything. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is too precious. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete