Saturday, September 27, 2014

Unfailing Love

The other day I picked Lincoln up from school, planning on running by Publix to pick up some pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls to try for breakfast the next morning. {They're amazing, by the way. Run, don't walk, to get some.} As we pulled into the parking lot, Lincoln asked if he could have a toy and I said no. 

Enter extreme screaming and sobbing about not getting a toy. We've been having discipline issues lately and this was the last straw so I didn't even park and told him we were going home. Enter even more screaming. To make a long story short, he ended up screaming and crying for 30 minutes.

THIRTY. LONG. MINUTES.

Linc has never done this. Ever. The longest he's ever cried was due to the fact that he was a newborn. I've rarely ever had to discpline him so this is new territory.

When we got home I sent him to time out and literally sat across from him and immediately grabbed my Bible and flipped to the back and read every single verse on grace I could find. I literally couldn't even begin to fathom how I was going to handle it. I was spent.

When I called Lincoln over, he climbed up in my lap and just snuggled up into my arms. As I held him and listened to him try to catch his breath, tears filled my eyes. I watched as my child's heart was absolutely broken. In all honesty, his whole problem was himself, but that didn't matter. My heart broke because he was so hurt. I knew he had done wrong, and I knew I had to discipline eventually, but at that moment, my main priority was to hold him and love him. And it hit me.

My Heavenly Daddy feels like this towards me. But even more so. I get myself into situations where I have to go through heart break and my whole problem is myself. But Jesus doesn't run at me with a pointed finger and an "I told you so." He lets me crawl into His lap and catch my breath, while His love overwhelms my soul. I still have consequences and I still have to go through pain, but His heart breaks over my pain. He loves me through the midst of everything I go through, even when it's all my fault. His love goes so much farther than the muck I find myself in. I deserve His wrath but instead he pours out His love. His love is unconditional, unfathomable, redeeming. It's perfect, righteous, and holy. It's flawless.



Whatever you've done, whoever you've been, Jesus is so much greater. His love overcomes your past, present, and future. There's grace enough for today, and every day. Go live in the love and grace that He's poured out on you today.



1 comment:

  1. This one brought tears to my eyes! Thank you for the beautiful reminder of this truth. I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete