Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Grace + Ice Cream


Last week Lincoln and I had plans to head to the park after dinner but Lincoln got in trouble. It was something that been happening for a couple days and finally I told him if it happened again we weren't going to the park. It happened and I was about to put him in time out when I remembered we needed to go to the store. 

We talked in the store about what happened and why he wasn't getting to go to the park when it dawned on me that this was a perfect time to teach him a lesson on grace.

So without telling Lincoln where we were going, we headed downtown for an ice cream. 

As we were driving I started telling Linc about Jesus. He knows that Jesus died for us, but not exactly why so I started explaining it more. I told him how we couldn't go to Heaven because of the bad things we do and so Jesus loved us so much that He died for us. I used the word grace a million times. As I explained it more and more, tears just welled up. 

When I watched him eat his ice cream, I knew he'd done something he wasn't supposed to but my heart was so overcome with love at the same time. I imagine that's how it is with our Father. He knows we've messed up, but he adores us anyway.

I grew up hearing the word grace, but I've really come to understand it over the past four years. Grace is everything. Without His grace, we would have to be separated from the One who loves us the most.

Grace is so simple. But it's also extravagant. It's easy to understand, but it's also difficult. It's easy to take for granted what Jesus did. It's easy to know it in our heads but not see it with our hearts. When I tried to teach my three year old a lesson on grace, I ended up getting one, too.

So sometimes grace looks like eternity in Heaven and sometimes it tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream. 



1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful and special post. I think you talked about this on FB and it really stuck out to me, I love it. So true!

    ReplyDelete