Saturday, August 23, 2014

#1

#1 on my list of things to do before I die is to read the entire Bible.

On August 23, 2013 I started reading the Bible on a YouVersion plan to read it in one year. Today I read Revelation 19-22 and finished.

I have now read the entire Bible from cover to cover and I can honestly say I'm proud of myself for sticking with it. There were days where the list of lineage {Hello 1 Kings} drug on and I didn't want to read it all, but I did. 

So I must have learned something, right? 

Three big things stuck out to me.

God doesn't use "good people." I think our tendency when God puts a dream or a command in front of us is to tell Him all the ways we don't measure up. We're the first to say that it's impossible for us to do this particular thing. But in the Bible, God uses the most unlikely people. He uses murderers, thieves, adulterers, common people who don't seem to really have amazing, awe-inspiring talents. He uses the people who don't have a way with words. He uses people who don't have a lot to bring to the table. That gives me hope. Because in earthly eyes I may be common, but put my willing heart with a God who can do all things and you've got a recipe for a God-honoring life. It may never be big or famous, but I know God can use me for His glory and that's something worth getting excited over.

God is full of grace. I mess up, a lot. I need grace, a lot. But as I watched those "common people" mess up, God gave them grace and mercy and sent them on their way. Their mistakes were so covered in grace that it was as if they had never happened. God didn't look at them and see their mistakes. He gave grace and saw the potential in their willing hearts. That, my friends, is the beautiful thing about our Jesus. He never runs out of grace and that's such good news for us because we need it daily. 

His plans are greater. As I look back at my 21 years so far, I see a lot of plans I've made that never came true. And in the moment of broken dreams, there is a lot of heartache. A lot of "Why, God?" But as I read the Bible I saw a lot of things that people in the Bible planned that God had such better plans for? Peter and Andrew had a career of being fishermen but God called them instead to a life of being His disciple. That meant leaving their career. As we read the Bible we know that their life of following Him and being one of His chosen twelve was so much better than their life as fishermen could have been. But they didn't know that in the moment. They had to have faith that God knew better than them and that He loved them so much that He had plans for them far greater than their own. When I watch all the derailed plans in the Bible, I can't help but think of my own life. God doesn't just see the now, He sees the end of my life here on earth and He's fighting for my good. He knows better than me and I just have to accept that and have faith that He's working every single thing out for my good.

We are flawed. God makes us righteous. He is good. And I can't wait to spend forever in eternity with Him.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I started a one year reading plan on January 1st and while some days have definitely been tougher than others, I'm glad I've stuck with it! Your #3 point is spot on. That is why Jeremiah 29:11 has always been my favorite verse :)

    ReplyDelete