Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ask



I've grown up hearing preachers talk about how we don't need to just speak to  God when we need something. I've heard plenty of times that we don't need to be people who only talk to Him when we need something or when it benefits us. I've always been so afraid of seeing God as my personal genie, that I've gone as far as to tread lightly when I asked God for things.

For so long, when I would ask God for things, I'd ask for Him to come through in a mighty way and then as an addendum to that prayer I'd say, "But it's okay if it doesn't happen." That's not humility, it's a lack of faith. That's me saying God I'm going to ask You for this, but I don't actually believe You can do it.

I do believe there is a line between acting like God exists to do for us all the time and having a faith that says God I know You can do all things and I'm believing You for good things in my life. I also understand that not everything that we ask God for happens. I know plenty of people have prayed for loved ones to be healed and it hasn't happened. I'm not God and I don't understand certain things, but I know His Word says that we at least have to ask.

I have a hard time {often} trusting God with my career. Often times I have a hard time trusting God with the things I love most: my son, nursing, things like that. Throughout this semester so far, God has really been opening my eyes to the fact that I just don't believe Him for good things. What kind of faith is it that I believe He can raise His son from the dead but I don't believe He can bless my exams in nursing school? No faith at all, that's what. I used to think to ask for prayer from people for my tests and then I wouldn't because I would think, but what if I don't pass it? What if God doesn't come through?

{Until now you have not asked for anything in My name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. John 16:24}

{You do not have because you do not ask God. James 4:2}

Maybe what you so desperately want you don't have because you haven't lifted it up to The Father. Maybe the only thing standing between you and the things your desire, is your petition to Jesus. The other day I claimed in Jesus name that the buttons on the washer would work. You know what happened? They worked immediately. The other day Lincoln laid his hand on my head in bed and asked God to help my head feel better. You know what happened? My headache went away and didn't come back. We receive because we ask.

{Delight yourself in The Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4}

We aren't given the desires of our heart by using God as our spiritual genie. We are given the desires of our heart by fully resting in Him and knowing that He is all we need. We desire many things, but God desires that we know Him and delight in Him. And when we do those things, He promises to give us the desires of our heart.

The second part of this, is not only asking, but believing He can and will do the things He says He will. We can't go to God with no faith and expect Him to move. We can't ask Him for things and then not trust that He is great enough to do them. He is not limited by our circumstances no matter how difficult. We may be weak, but He is so strong. Our quirks and failures don't limit Him; they make Him shine. Because when we aren't good enough, or strong enough, or wise enough, He is all we need in that moment. He is enough. And when we ask and believe whole heartedly that He can do it, He does.
I was driving to school Monday morning and started praying that God would bless my hard work but then the enemy started speaking and I almost told God that this was a hard test so I understood if I didn't do well on it. {I was about to limit God because of a lack of faith.} Before saying that though, I remembered what He had been speaking into my life lately. Ask God for what you need. Have the faith that He can and will come through. Claim His promises. And I prayed for an 86 or higher. God was faithful and I made a 92! He is so faithful when we ask and believe. He is able.

What circumstance is limiting you today? What is it that you need to ask God for? But there are two parts. We must first have the boldness to ask in Jesus name. And when we ask, we must have the faith to believe that He can and will do it.

{Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:7}

{Jesus replied, "Truly I tell you, if you have faith do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."}

Speak victory in Jesus name.

"Jesus is Victor." -Corrie Ten Boom

8 comments:

  1. So well put! Congrats on the test score!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN, girlfriend!! This is such a wonderful post... I struggle with praying with expectations... not because I don't believe God can, but thinking that He won't. I've very recently become bold in my petitions with God, and trusting Him fully for the outcome (not doubting that He won't, but knowing there is something better later on).

    Such a wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with a lot of not asking a lot of times because I think that He won't. That's so awesome! We seem like we're on the same page with asking God to boldly move. I'll be praying for you!

      Delete
  3. THIS IS SO GOOD!! {And yes, the caps were needed!}

    My heart so needed this message and it challenged me to my core! Thanks friend!! :)
    And congrats again on your test!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes caps are needed. I totally get it.

      I needed it too! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Love, love this reminder & challenge!! Thank you for sharing specific ways God is working in your life. It is so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sharing how He's working! We all need to be reminded sometimes!

      Delete