Wednesday, February 5, 2014

You Are Enough

I've seen a lot of posts lately circulating Facebook basically putting down peoples life choices. And if I'm being honest, they annoy me to no end. Let me explain. Basically, if you haven't seen these, they list reasons why it's so-called better to do one or the other. They cause us to be defensive. Because heaven knows society tells younger women that they're stupid for getting engaged/married early and we feel better about our choices if we 'share' that post. Or maybe people make us feel bad about being stay at home moms so we feel the need to 'share' it because it validates our decisions.

One will say, 'Why I got engaged before 23' and one will be 'Why I waited to get married'. My young engaged/married friends are all over the first one and my friends who didn't get married till their late 20s early 30s are all over the second one.

A few others ones I've seen say things like it's better to have kids early in life, while the opposite says it's way better to wait.

But the one that really bothers me? Why being a stay at home mom is better vs. being a working mom.

Why is it that we feel the need to criticize people because of choosing a certain life for themselves? I mean, one post makes stay at home moms feel inadequate because they're home all day with their kids and the other makes working moms feel like they don't love their children one bit.

HELLO?! Are we blind? Is it not possible that BOTH options are what is best for different families? Are we so insecure that putting other moms/women down makes us feel better about ourselves for a whole two minutes?

Can I tell you something about yourself? You're going a good job. The choices you're making with and for your family are just fine. You're working hard enough. You're doing enough. YOU ARE ENOUGH.

I have a friend who chooses to be a stay at home mom. She rocks. She loves her two kids, teaches them Jesus daily, and is a wonderful wife. She isn't inadequate because she 'just stays home'. She's doing what God has called her to do. She does a lot. She is enough.

I also have friends who work. They love their careers. They're doing what they enjoy. But they also love their kids. They feel guilty leaving them, but they're doing what God has called them to do. They're doing a lot. They are enough.

Maybe you waited to have kids. Cool. Awesome. I'm glad that you had your time to travel and save money and do what you want to do. You're doing what God has called you to do. You're enough.

I had a baby early in life. It wasn't a choice, but it happened. I work part time, go to school full time, and I'm a single mom to a precious two year old boy. You know what I've come to realize over the last three years? I'm doing what God has called me to do. I'm where God has called me to be. I'm doing a lot. I am enough.

Maybe you made the choice to get married early. Great. Wonderful. You're doing what God has called you to do. You're enough.

We have got to let go of the judgment of other peoples choices.. especially women. We're in a fight against the devil and he wins when we put down others. It's not okay. It's not acceptable. Just because someone's life is different than yours doesn't mean it's wrong. They're not lazy because they stay home with their kids and you're not a bad mom because you enjoy going to work.

Today, let's please love others. Encourage others. Lift them up. Our differences divide us, but Christ unites us. Let's be united.

2 comments:

  1. Love this. How boring would the world be if we all made the same life choices anyways?

    ReplyDelete