Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Jose

If you read this post, then you know I sponsor a little boy named Jose through World Vision. Jose is precious to my heart. I love him so much, and I pray one day Lincoln and I will be able to go meet Lincoln's 'adopted brother.' I wanted to share how I got into sponsorship and share with you how you could, too.

I first got introduced to sponsoring children through my parents. My parents sponsored a little girl named Rita from Indonesia when I was younger and I remember seeing her picture and wishing so badly I could meet my 'sister'. I never told anyone this but God put her on my heart a lot.

About a year ago I was watching TV while Lincoln was taking a nap and out of no where I heard God say, "You need to sponsor a child." I hadn't seen a commercial, no one had mentioned it, God just laid in on my heart. I felt it so strongly that I went out to my car that moment to get my wallet. I got my computer out and started looking at World Vision's website.

I immediately knew I wanted to sponsor a child born on Lincoln's birthday. It didn't matter to me whether I got a little boy or girl so I just looked through the bios. After looking through about three I just didn't feel God leading me to any of them which I thought was weird since I felt him so strongly tell me to sponsor someone. The fourth bio I looked at was precious Jose.

One of the first sentences I read was that he was the son of a single mom.

And that's when I knew. This was the boy that God had laid on my heart.

I love Jose. I think about Jose often and pray for him every day.

If you've been following my journey for a while, you know that I worked a full time job at a doctor's office for two years. When I started nursing school I knew I had to quit there and I knew I wouldn't work my first semester. So I thought, I'll just stop sponsoring Jose. And I heard God say, "No." And honestly I thought, God I don't have a job. I don't have money to be spending to a child when I have my own to provide for. And God said no again. So half heartedly I told God okay, and went with obedience.

God has provided for me, Lincoln, and Jose. How beautiful obedience is! Can I tell you I haven't had to worry about where our money will come from? This Summer I looked at my bank account and thought about how quickly it was going down without a job and in the same week I got a call to babysit someone and a call to watch someone's pets for a week. God had come through again. And He is still continuing to provide in ways I can't fully describe.

I don't say all this to same jump on the website and go do it. But I do want to encourage you to pray about it. If God isn't calling you to this, don't do it. But if He is, I can tell you it's a blessing you can't imagine until you do it. We are so blessed in the United States. We are rich when it comes to other countries and there are other children like Jose whose parents {many single moms} are struggling when it come to feeding them. Your gift can help them eat, go to school, be clothed.

It blesses my heart so much when I get things from Jose. I've gotten his handprints, footprints, letters from his mom, cards. This little boy is so so precious to both me and Lincoln, and I'm so thankful God has allowed him to be in our lives, even if we have never met him.

Jose and his mom.
 
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. {James 1:27}

4 comments:

  1. We sponsored a couple of kids in Guatemala growing up and I honestly hadn't thought about it in a long time. Now I want to get started with that again! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wish I could sponsor more children or give more to Jose, but the little I do give I think has blessed me more than him!

      Delete
  2. I've said it before, but your heart is so beautiful, you are beautiful! I love how sensitive you are to God's leading and then obedient to follow, no matter what! We sponsor a sweet boy, Juan, through World Vision, too. I love hearing my kids call him their adopted brother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an amazing encourager and every comment from you lifts my spirits! Thank you so much! I love hearing that y'all sponsor someone too and that your kids are so involved. That is the sweetest!

      Delete