Sunday, December 1, 2013

You're doing great. Keep going.

The other day I was studying at Starbucks while Lincoln was at school and a girl came in that I hadn't seen in quite a while. We got to talking {ended up having an amazing God talk!!!} and she asked me what I was doing now and how things were going. I told her about Lincoln and how amazing he is and what a blessing he's been in my life. I told her I had about 30 minutes till I had to pick him up from school. I told her that I wasn't working at the doctor's office anymore because I was now in nursing school full time. And she said something that I actually hear quite often, believe it or not.

"I don't know how you do everything that you do. You're so strong. I could never do all that."

My first statement was, "Oh heavens, friend. I could NEVER do this without Jesus." And that's not a cheap line. It's so true. I don't know how people face the day without the hope and grace and incredible love of Christ. I just don't. And I fully believe that I could never love and provide for and care for Lincoln like I do without God's love pushing me on and encouraging me to try again when I mess up {which is more often than I'd like to admit.}

But the next thing I thought, I didn't actually say. When she spoke those words I thought, "I'm not really doing that much, and I mess up a lot."

She saw a 20 year old single mom who loves her son with an incredible passion. Who provides for him no matter what it takes. Goes to school full time. Will be working soon. And she was impressed.

But the truth is, I'm not impressed with myself. Sure I pay for him to go to a Christian preschool, but sometimes I lose my patience about trivial things. Sure I provide all his needs and so many of his wants, but sometimes I'm not as loving as I should be. Sure I love on him every chance I get, but I have to spend a lot of my time away from him at school.

And it got me thinking why don't I see all the things I do? Why do I see all the my failures, instead of all my successes? Why is it that people always tell me things like this, but I never tell myself the same? Granted, we all have things we need to work on and we need to let God change in us, but maybe sometimes we just need to see that we're doing a good job.

Are you at that point today? Is the only thing you can see right now are the mess ups, and imperfections? Sure you lost your patience with your daughter when she broke a glass vase, but did you remember how you gave her grace when she spilled the milk on the floor? Yes you have two piles of laundry waiting for you, but do you remember how you cooked your family dinner instead? Of course you probably need to clean out your car, but remember how you snuggled with your son for 15 minutes longer?

Cut yourself a break today. Remember who God made you. He entrusted your life to you for a reason. He chose you to be his/her mom. He chose you to be his wife. You can do this. You are good enough. You are doing enough. You're a good mom. You're a good wife. You don't have to do more. You're doing great at this crazy thing called life. Keep going.

2 comments:

  1. "You can do this. You are good enough. You are doing enough". I SO needed that encouragement! Thank you friend!!
    Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need it daily, so I'm glad it encouraged you, too! You're welcome! I hope you have an amazing week!

      Delete