Monday, December 2, 2013

Something's Missing

Lincoln has a nativity set much like this one and he absolutely loves it. I mean, he likes it more than I ever thought possible and it's an amazing way to teach him about the Christmas story and what Christmas is really about. The other day I was cleaning up all the pieces. I found Mary and Joseph, all the animals, the wise men, and the angel. But I couldn't find baby Jesus. I mean, I kind of felt terrible about it. Jesus is the most important part, and we lost Him.

It really got me to thinking about stuff. I got saved when I was seven. I remember the moment, I remember the feeling of urgency about needing to do this big thing. I remember my baptism. I still remember exactly which pew I was sitting in First Baptist downtown. I remember it all. And to this day, it's still the best decision I ever made.

But the thing is, as I grew up I knew the right things to do. I read my Bible for the most part, and I understood the lists of do's and don'ts. I went to church every Sunday and Wednesday. I had this whole Christian thing figure out.. or so I thought.

I had everything that outwardly made me look like a Christian and a good person. From every one's perspective I was a really good Christian. My life looked like the epitome of a Christian. But despite all the things I had, I was missing one thing.. Jesus.

Granted, I was saved. I still fully believe that. But despite all the things that made me look so great, I was missing Jesus in my life. I was missing that love relationship with the Person who loved me most. And the truth is, it's great to have Mary and Joseph, the wise men, and the angel because those things are important. Reading my Bible, going to church, and trying to treat others with kindness was also important, but if I'm missing Jesus' heart, then I'm really missing out on it all.

So what does your life look like? Do you have the façade of a Christian? Do you have what it takes to make you look like you've got this Jesus thing all figured out? Because that's great, but if you're missing Jesus, you're missing everything.

{FYI: Baby Jesus is still missing but I've been told you can order Him on Amazon so I need to get on that!}

No comments:

Post a Comment