Saturday, November 2, 2013

So You Had a Bad Day..

Please, please, someone tell me you started singing Daniel Powter's song when you read that title? No? Just me? Good to know.
 
My mom has been sick the past couple days and I've been trying to keep Linc away from her as much as possible. Moms, you get it. Avoid the sickness, at all cost! So yesterday morning I decided to take Lincoln to Chik-Fil-A to get some food and play. I have a rule. You eat your food and then you play. No going around it. So when it was only 11 {not quite lunch time for Linc} I figured I'd get a little bit of food and just let him play. But he asked for chicken and fries, so I ordered it for him. I told him if he got food then he had to eat it before he played. He agreed. So we get our food, we sit down, he whines about not being able to play. Basically, before the next five minutes was up, he was throwing his toy {a deck of small cards} everywhere, got ketchup all over his shirt, and told me no to eating. Now you have to understand something.. Lincoln LOVES playing there, so he was SO excited to go. But when he started misbehaving, I told him that if he didn't sit down and eat, we were leaving. In all honesty, I thought he would {like usual} eat really quick and then we'd play for an hour or so. No. That did not happen. At all.
 
It basically ended in me throwing away his food and carrying him crying out of Chik-Fil-A. Now hear me out.. I am not the mom who just loves punishing my child, at all. I would love to be the good cop, but when you're the only parent, what choice do you have? And letting him walk all over me is not an option. Lincoln rarely pitches fits like that. He is a pretty obedient kid, and he doesn't usually make a scene. So it was incredibly out of the ordinary for him to completely say no to eating his food.

He's bawling his eyes out in the car. My heart is shattering more and more every minute. And I am one Lincoln meltdown away from having a Momma meltdown in the front seat. We were having a bad morning. And everyone knows that if you have a bad morning {especially with your kids}, you're likely to carry it to the afternoon.

But God redeemed our day.

It was beautiful. I was in the front seat telling God how no one should ever have to parent alone and how it isn't fair for one parent to always have to do the disciplining. {Pity party for one, please!} And I prayed for patience, and grace, and for me to see my son how God sees him. And like that, I felt a weight lifted off of me. Lincoln stopped crying shortly after and starting laughing in the back seat, forgetting all about the incident. We ended up having a Starbucks date, going to see Papa at the office, playing at the park, and then hanging out with my sister at her house. It ended up being a great day, full of Jesus' grace.

Are you having a bad day? A bad week? Month? Year? If so, the Creator of the universe wants to redeem it. He wants to redeem you. He wants to take the broken pieces and make them whole and beautiful. Give your worries, and your frustrations, and your fears to Him. He knows your heart, your thoughts, and your deepest desires. Give them all over and watch what He will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment