Saturday, October 26, 2013

Fear Enslaves Us

If you've read some of my posts then you know that I'm reading through the Bible, and loving it. Yesterday I came to Numbers 14 and saw something that I had never really realized. I've read through Numbers and yet, I've never really read this chapter like I did yesterday.

That night all the members of the community raised their voices and wept aloud. All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, “If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this wilderness! Why is the Lord bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn’t it be better for us to go back to Egypt? And they said to each other, “We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt.

So first of all, their fear makes them want to die, literally. Because they are uncertain of their future they wish they had died in Egypt or the wilderness. Fear makes us depressed. In many cases, people commit suicide because they are so fearful of the future. In verse 3 and 4 they decide that they want to go back to Egypt. This is the part that is crazy to me. They were slaves in Egypt! They are begging to go back into bondage! God freed them from horrible conditions and horrible treatment and they are asking to go back!!! And when I read it I thought really? You'd rather go back into bondage than just trust God? But the thing is, we do this, too! When we are uncertain of our future and have fear that it won't work out just as God said it would, we go back to our past of bondage. We go back to old sins, old habits, and we cling to the bondage because it's our comfort zone. It's where we know we will be fed, clothed, housed.. Instead of saying, "God, I can't see where You're leading but because I know Your love for me, I know you will bring me through." Our fear and doubt will always enslave us. We have to choose daily to have faith that God will work our circumstances out, and never go back into bondage just because we are fearful.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. {2 Timothy 1:7}

No comments:

Post a Comment