Saturday, September 14, 2013

Life is Precious

Tonight as Lincoln and I laid down for bed, we did our normal routine. We watched a few shows, we counted to five at least ten times, we sang our ABC's, we snuggled, Lincoln said his prayers {"Thank You for Momma. AMEN!"}, and Lincoln asked me to hold him numerous times.

Usually Linc will ask me to hold him, come get in my arms for a few minutes, then lay down on his pillow. This cycle goes on about ten times before he finally lays down on his pillow for good and asks me to cover him up with his blanket.

For some reason tonight Lincoln cuddled up close to me with my arms around him and stayed there. As we fell asleep close, the thought really crossed my mind, Life is so precious. His life is precious. Our life is precious.

I think it's so easy to get caught up in what's wrong with our life and the things that we don't have, and forget what we do. My life isn't perfect. There are things I don't have that I'd like, there are things I wish I could change. But the thing is, those things I'd like to have aren't going to appear this week. Next Friday I'm not going to have them and guess what, I'll still be immensely and extremely blessed. I'd like a college degree and a home of our own, among other things. Couldn't we all find at least one thing we want? Some people want a nicer car, some people want a nicer home, and heaven knows we all wish we were millionaires. It's so easy to get caught up in that. And sometimes, I get caught up in what I'd like to be different, or things I'd like to have.

But I do have a son. I have a healthy and incredibly smart two year old whose presence just lights up the room. I have a little boy who snuggles in my bed every night and knows how much he's loved. I have a little boy who has more toys than he knows what to do with. I have a little boy who makes me laugh and brings me more joy than I thought possible. I have a healthy family who loves my son. I have a roof over my head and I never wonder where my next meal is going to come from. I have a car that runs and is completely paid off. I am not hurting financially. I have a church home who accepts me as a single mom and encourages me to take off with God's dreams for my life. I have friends who support and love me and Lincoln. I am loved, admired, cherished and pursued by the Savior of the world.

Would I like to own a home, have my college degree finished, and drive a Lincoln MKX? You bet I would. But I am so incredibly blessed. I have no reason, at all, to complain. My needs are met, I have so very many of my wants, and I am surrounded by love and encouragement. Laying with Lincoln in my arms reminded me tonight, I am blessed. Yes, there are things in my life that could be better. But I really do have all I need.

What is it that you're letting get in the way of cherishing what you already have? What is it that your eyes and heart are so focused on that you can't see what you have right in front of you? The answer to joy isn't more stuff or different circumstances, it's realizing what you already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment