Saturday, August 17, 2013

My Son is Special

You probably just read that title and thought, "This is going to be a post bragging on her toddler." But no, it's not. So keep reading!

I like to think {for the most part} that I have been pretty patient as I wait for Linc to hit certain milestones in his life. Like most parents, I have googled when he will roll over, crawl, walk, and of course when he will be ready to potty train. But I haven't been overly anxious about milestones, I have basically let them happen when they're supposed to happen. 

For example, I used to lay Lincoln on his belly to see if he would roll over. When he was about six months old, I gave up. He didn't roll over until he was 13 months old. 13 MONTHS OLD. That's insane. And way late! {He walked before he ever rolled over. Precious child.} 

But one milestone I have not been patient with is potty training. If you read my post last week about our vacation, you saw at the bottom that Linc went pee pee in the potty for the first time last Sunday night! I was just thrilled! And I was obviously hoping that this week he would do it again. Needless to say, he hasn't gone in the potty since Sunday night. He has come close, but not quite actually done it.

Linc will sit on the potty and he has gone in the potty once, but he hates underwear. I try to make a big deal about how he is a big boy and he always answers no when I ask if he is a baby because I tell him babies pee pee in their diapers. This week I was getting frustrated and down about it and I asked him "Are you a baby or a big boy?" And then he said it. The sentence that made me feel like someone just punched me in the stomach.

"I'm Linc."

Then it hit me. Lincoln is Lincoln. He's my blue eyed, two year old who loves the color orange, sleeping in Mommy's bed, and {like his Mom} hates the heat. He's not like any other child I've ever met. He walked at 11 months but didn't roll over till 13 months. And guess what. That's okay. It's alright that he's not potty trained yet. Sure, there are probably two year olds already going potty every day, and that's great. But Lincoln isn't, and that's alright.

I think as parents we get caught up in what milestones are happening and we just want our children to be there already. But the thing is, God made every child different. Some are potty trained at two, and some don't go potty till three. Some chubby kids don't roll over until 13 months, but they sure can rock walking at 11 months! My point is, there are things that are special and different about your child and mine. But sometimes we get so caught up in the excitement of milestones and other children that we focus on what they can't do, instead of the wonderful and charming things that make them, them.

Although I'm not married, I could see where this could apply to husbands/wives, too. Some men come up with elaborate proposals, some don't. Some men cook their wives Valentine's Day dinner, some don't. Look for the special in YOUR husband/wife, instead of comparing them to someone else's.

So today, I propose we stop comparing our kids to other kids, and we look hard for the special things that make them, them. Because when you look for a few minutes, it's not hard to think of a million different ways your child is special. God worked hard on every child on the planet. He specially prepared them to be them. God specially prepared Lincoln to be my son. He was specially made to be mine and that's wonderful and amazing in and of itself. And whether he goes potty this week, next, or in six months, he is special, amazing and the biggest blessing I have ever been given!

Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from Him. {Psalm 127:3}

Special. Amazing. Wonderful.
{Easy to see why!}

No comments:

Post a Comment