Saturday, August 3, 2013

Momma and Daddy

Can I brag on my parents for a second here? Really. It will only take a moment.

My mom is crazy. And wait just a minute, because I don't mean that in a bad way (Especially because there is a possibility that I am just like her). The kind of crazy that decides on a Saturday at 11 in the morning that she wants to completely redo the floors in someones room and instead of spacing that out over a few days, she decides to do it in one day. Do you see where I'm going with this? My mom decided to redo my floors this morning and by tonight at 9:15 my floors were beautiful and my room was put together again.

And let me just tell you, this isn't the first time my mom has done something like this. No, I'm telling you. She has done things like this my entire life.

And let's not leave my dad out of this craziness. He drove her to Lowe's today, helped move everything in my room (And I have quite an accumulation of stuff!), helped rip up the carpet, put down the new flooring, and then helped move everything back tonight.

I have never in my life met two people quite as selfless as Donnie and Sherry Fussell, or as I know them, Momma and Daddy.

My Dad spent years coaching my high school and travel softball teams. He spent every weekday (after working all day at his real job) coaching my high school softball team and then on the weekends would coach my travel teams in blazing hot temperatures all day long for two or three days until the final games which were usually around two in the morning. He sat on buckets for hours to catch me, threw countless amounts of pitches to teach me to hit, watched (painfully, I'm sure) as I hurt my self a million times sliding, and never got mad as I silently gave him looks off the mound that very evidently said, "Don't you dare take me out of this ball game." This man has spent hours working so incredibly hard when the stock market told everyone in the real estate business 'You can't succeed' and I've never heard a complaint out of him. He watched and encouraged as his 17 year old daughter carried around a baby her senior year of high school. He has been there for Lincoln since the moment I sat in this very same spot and muttered the words, "I'm pregnant." It didn't (and doesn't) matter that he was conceived out of wedlock, Papa loves his Lincoln and always has since the moment he knew about him. He has spent countless hours watching Linc while I go to school, and many times woken up in the middle of the night with him. And most of all, this man has praised God through every storm he's ever been through. If there was ever a good role model as a father, it's Donnie Fussell. I honestly believe with everything I have that if more dads loved and cherished their children as much as my dad cherishes my siblings and I, this world would have significantly fewer problems today.

If you look up the word servant in the dictionary, you'll see a picture of my mom. My mom is the strongest person I know, and the most hard working. If ever you needed a favor done, my mom would do it without complaining. And if any normal human could do it in two hours, she could do it in one. My mom coached every softball team I played on until high school and sat on a bucket just about every day from the time I was 10 till about 17. She walked about 1,000 miles with me while I was pregnant (while I complained a little.. Okay, a lot), answered every stupid and ridiculous question I ever had about pregnancy/raising children, and held me while I cried about everything. And I do mean everything. Growing up, we never had boring rooms. My sister, especially, will attest to this. I know for a fact my mom has painted my room at least 20 times and I can especially remember the grey, hot pink, light pink, lime green, light blue, dark blue, purple and yellow room's I have had. I can remember the clouds on the ceiling, and the garden she painted on the wall. I can remember the playroom we had, complete with air hockey table that had something special painted for each of us on the wall. I can remember the scripture I wanted hand scripted wrapping around the top of my room. I can remember the stripes I wanted painted on my room, too. If we wanted things hung on the wall, she'd hang them. If we wanted something special painted, she'd paint it. Heaven knows she's the reason I hate white walls and start Christmas shopping in August. When hard times hit my family, she went to work cleaning houses. And in a million ways that gives me more respect for my mom than I'd ever have if she were a doctor or a lawyer. I know, without a doubt, that my mom is willing to do whatever it takes for our family and I pray I will always be that for Lincoln. Geesh loves her Lincoln, too. She, like my dad, have watched Lincoln countless hours and gotten up with him so many times. When God calls us to be servants, she doesn't have to try at that. She has that down pat. She's intelligent, hard working, and beautiful and I couldn't find a better mom if I searched the world.

Happy 25th anniversary to two people who honestly deserve the world. The more I spend time as a mom the more I respect everything you two have done for me, Lincoln, Kaysley, and Pearce. In a million ways, y'all are incredible people and even more so incredible parents and grandparents. The four of us are so incredibly blessed to be chosen by God to be apart of this family. I am so proud to be your daughter and that will never ever change. I respect you and so appreciate everything you have done for me and Lincoln. The two of us would not be where we are if it wasn't for your selfless love and incredible grace. I couldn't find two greater heroes if I tried and I'm so thankful for all that you do. Here's to 25 more amazing years. I can't wait to be celebrating your 50th wedding anniversary. Thank you for loving each other. And for loving me. I love you!

FYI: Their anniversary is actually August 13th. So stop by the house, send them a card, buy them cake, they love cake (okay, I love cake..). Do something for them! They deserve it. And mom and dad, before you kill me for posting about your anniversary and telling random people to show up at our house, remember how I birthed you a wonderful and magnificent grandson and just say thank you and we'll be even!

These are the two incredible people with their favorite person on the planet. I forgot to mention: We have family Yobe night every Monday night. How cool is that? They buy frozen yogurt for me and Linc every Monday night. That in itself deserves an awesome parent/grandparent award. 

No comments:

Post a Comment