Monday, August 12, 2013

Dress for Attention.

Dress for attention.

You may be thinking that's an incredibly bold statement.. And you'd be correct.

Before you click that lovely little X in the top right hand corner, read on for a few minutes. I have a point, I promise {and a good one at that!}. I am in no way trying to put anyone down but trying to address a situation I feel is so important and I think people {even a lot of moms} are scared to bring up. This has been laid on my heart by God time and time again. Growing up in church, I have been told not to dress for attention. To be honest, I've always stood by that.. That is, until now.

Truth is.. No matter how you dress, you're going to attract attention. But what kind? If you see someone with tattered up clothes with holes in them, you may think they don't have money. {You should probably give them some! ;)} If you see someone wearing a polo, huge diamond earrings, and holding a Coach purse, you may think they have a lot of money. If every time you see someone they are wearing a tshirt and running shorts {much like me for most of my teenage years} you may think they don't care about their appearance {and you'd probably be right!}. My point is, how you dress often has a lot to do with someones first impression of you. And honestly, whether people want to admit it or not, first impressions are incredibly important. What kind of impression are you leaving on people with how you dress?

Truth is, I've seen girls in pictures at clubs wearing skirts longer than some of the skirts I've seen at church lately. Society tells us that we'll attract the most attention wearing low cut shirts and short skirts/shorts. Society is probably right, but the attention you'll get showing everything you've got isn't the kind of attention you want. Growing up, we dream of meeting a guy who is super sweet, treats us like a princess, and really gives us respect. Can I tell you something? Dressing provocatively won't get you a bit of respect. It will give you a one night stand who sees you as a piece of meat. We seem to be completely baffled by the fact that guys don't want to get to know us when we dress like this, they just want to sleep with us. Boys want to sleep with girls who wear low cut shirts and short shorts. Godly men want to love, respect, and honor women who respect themselves first in everything, including the way they dress. Entirely too often I see teenage girls on Facebook constantly posting about how all guys are the same and all they want is sex. Do you know why that is? Because you're advertising your body for that very purpose. You can't expect someone to follow boundaries that you don't set, it's as simple as that. And I'm not saying go out and buy expensive clothes, I'm saying cover up. Wear cute clothes that say "There's more to me than this body and that's important for you to know up front." Because one day, you're going to be 90 years old and you are not going to look like that. I don't know about you, but I want that man I'm married to to say "You look even more beautiful now than you did at 25. {Granted, he might be stretching the truth, but you get my point!} Dressing respectfully doesn't mean dressing boring. Dressing trashy is way less appealing than dressing classy.

Dressing provocatively gives girls a whole lot of bad attention. Dressing respectfully brings good attention, glorifies God, and brings us the man He has prepared for us.

This post in no way means I'm perfect at this, it means God has placed it heavy on my heart. So much so that about a week ago I threw away four pairs of shorts that I've had since I was a teenager. Why? Because the shorts I threw out don't say respectful, they say teenager who wants attention. Ladies, don't advertise what's not for sale. You are not a piece of meat. You deserve to be treated like the beautiful, amazing, wonderful lady that you are! Not some girl that any guy can take advantage of. You have to set boundaries, and one of those is the way you dress.

I realize that this doesn't sit well with the norm. This may not be played out at your high school or college. I may even sound like your 60 year old grandma, but I don't care. Because I can tell you someone dressed cute and classy will get a million more compliments than someone dressed in short shorts and a cutoff shirt. God has way more planned for you, way more in mind for you, but respecting yourself is part of the package. Because until you change your way of dressing, you're going to attract a whole lot more frogs than princes. ;)

I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. {1 Timothy 2:9}

No comments:

Post a Comment