Tuesday, March 12, 2013

My Thoughts

Looking back, I haven't posted much of my opinion, but I've been wanting to write this blog for a while. This is going to be my opinion on teenage pregnancy. I think it's really easy for someone who has never been through it to look down on the moms who are teenage mothers. It is easy to criticize the concept of being a teenage mom. But today, you're going to hear from someone who is living it.

But first, I need to say a few things. My son, Lincoln, is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I got pregnant at 17, and had him at 18. Linc is such a miracle from God and I know that God had great plans sending him to me and has great plans for his future. Being a mom is the highest honor I could ever have, and being his mom brings incredible joy to my life. Don't mistake anything I say in this blog for me regretting having him. I have never and will never regret having him. And if I had to do it all over again, I would.

I know that paragraph will confuse some people and it may seem like a contradiction with what I'm about to say. However, it is not. Many people claim that shows such as 'Teen Mom' glamorize teen pregnancy. I would have to disagree. Teenage pregnancy is not something to strive for or plan. Seeing as how many teenage dads bolt, many teenage moms are left to raise a child on their own. Raising a child, trying to finish school/go to college and working is not easy by any means. I can imagine even when married, learning how to care for your newborn is difficult. Add in the fact that you're only 14, 15, 16, 17 years old and it becomes increasingly more complicated. If you've ever watched Teen Mom you've seen a LOT of crying scenes. That is NOT acting. Teenage parenting is rough.

The worst part about teenage pregnancy? The child is who suffers the most. Children born to teenage parents have a higher risk for living in poverty. In addition to that, most children born to teenagers do not have two parents together. That is no way is fair to the child. No child deserves to suffer because a teenager was careless.

But here's where mine and Lincoln's story comes into play. I fully believe that things happen. But when things do happen, you need to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. If you choose to keep your child, you better have a serious plan in place to take care of that child. No child should be pushed off on the grandparents or any other family. I believe that unexpected situations can be turned into good, if you decide to make them that way. This still doesn't guarantee an easy life though. Lincoln lives in a wonderful home, I am financially supporting him, he is not lacking anything (just ask anyone who has been to our house), and he is so happy. My life isn't easy though. I wake up in the morning and go to work. I come home after work and spend time with him until he goes to bed. When he goes to bed I stay up doing homework, sometimes until 3 or 4 am. I am tired 99% of the time, and it's a rarity that I have any alone time. I've mentioned on more than one occasion to people that I wish I could videotape the hard moments. Some nights I'm so tired I cry, hard. So many nights I'd like to go to sleep but I can't because I've got to do school. Although I am not a teenager anymore, I was when he was born. It is doable, but it is not easy. God can change any situation and make it a good one. Lincoln and I have been blessed with amazing family and an even more awesome and gracious God. He has gotten us through everything.

God blessed me with an incredibly amazing and wonderful little boy. He is my everything and I am so thankful that God knew what He was doing. I'm thankful for the journey we've been on the past three years. And I can't wait for the next 70!

No comments:

Post a Comment