Friday, March 29, 2013

Gods plans > my dreams

A few weeks ago I posted a picture on my Instagram of a saying that I really like. I tend to go read it when I'm down about the future, or worried about which way God wants me to go. 



Today I had some time to go run errands and work on some things at the house. When I went and got Lincoln's sheets out of the dryer and started making his bed this prayer popped into my head, "God, I'm so thankful that Your plans are better than my dreams." That sent my mind into a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions. Gratitude. Relief at the fact that my life didn't turn out how I planned. I mean think about it, what 16 year old says, "Hey, I can't wait for next year when I get pregnant and become a mom at 18, then finish high school and go to college while raising a child and working full time!" Looking at that statement, it sounds ridiculous. But looking at my life, it's reality. As a 14 year old, I had dreams of playing college softball at UNF. Fast forward to 17 years old and sitting at a doctor's office, pregnant. But when I look back at how my life could be now, Lincoln really is the best thing that could have ever happened to me. God wasn't surprised when Linc came along, and He wasn't shocked that I had Lincoln at 18. No. It was His plan. And no, it may have not happened biblically, it may have not been done by God's standards, but I have no doubt it was His plan. And it was the best plan that He could have had for my life. I think God gave us hearts to dream, and that's a great thing, but when we consider our dreams greater than God's plans, we're missing it. By a mile. A really really long mile. If God can breathe the world into existence, if God can hold the whole world in His hand, don't we believe and trust that God knows our circumstances, our heart, and will do what it ultimately best for us? No, it may not be what is easiest. I'm sure it's much easier to be a college student whose parents pay for everything and all they have to do is go to school. (No, I'm not putting down college students. I promise.) It may be harder to be a single mom, go to school full time, and work full time, but God knew it is what is ultimately best for me. I have more joy in my life running with God's plan that I ever would have as a college softball player. His plan brings joy in the end, it brings peace. He has a plan. It's not to make your life harder, or to upset you.. His plan is great! His plan trumps any dreams you have! And when we take God's path for our life, and follow His plan for our life, His plans are always better than our dreams!

God's plans > my dreams

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. [Jeremiah 29:11]

No comments:

Post a Comment