Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I'm Not Needed

At first glance, you probably assumed this was going to be a very unhappy post. Please don't stop reading, because it's not! Humans have this great want for the feeling of being needed. At work, they need me. They need me to get patients charts ready for the next day, they need me to put patients labs on the front of their charts, and occasionally they even need me to go on Starbucks runs. At home, I love the feeling I get when Lincoln needs me. He can't put on his shoes, so he needs me to do it. He can't open his yogurt, so he needs me to do it. He can't pour his own juice, so he needs me to do it. It is a very nice feeling when someone needs you. But this is the thing, God doesn't need you. And He doesn't need me. No, God is fully capable of doing everything He needs to do on His own. He proved himself capable when He breathed the world into existence (Psalm 33:6).

It feels nice to be needed. But it's an even more overwhelming feeling to be wanted. When I come home from work, Lincoln will hug me and take me by the hand to go play with him. Lincoln does this not because he needs me to play with him, but because he wants me around him. He wants to spend time with me. And here comes the exciting part.. God wants you. And God wants me. We could stop when we look at the way that He made the entire world by Himself. But then let's look at the story of David and Goliath. Yes, God could have killed Goliath. Easily and effortlessly. But God chose David because God loved David and wanted David. God wants you and loves you so much that He sent his only Son to die for you. This took a brutal death; Jesus didn't die in His sleep in some nice, air-conditioned mansion. No. His death was brutal, excruciating, and every bit of it was painful and emotional. It doesn't matter what you've done, what you're doing, or what you will do in the future. God loves you with an unconditional, passionate, pursuing love that can't be trumped and can't be extinguished by anything in this world. No person, no object, no sin can take away God's love for you. This is what makes our relationship with Him so special and set apart from any relationship we will ever have. This love is not forced, but it is a love that is wanted and cherished by God. Deny Him and He'll still love you. But God wants you in His presence. Revel in that fact today. You are favored. You are treasured. You are loved by the God who breathed the world into existence. The Great I Am is enthralled by you, and has loved you with an everlasting, eternal love.

The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

No comments:

Post a Comment